If you are working with youth, or have an interest in the mental health of young people, the Youth Mental Health First Aid course will suit you.
You’ll learn about the experiences of young people and how they develop mental health problems, the common signs and symptoms, and a model for having a safe conversation with a young person about their mental health.
It’s focussed on the specific need of young people, and gives adults the skills needed to help young people with their mental health.
What you’ll learn in the Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
- An overview of mental health for youth and Mental Health First Aid
- Common myths and misunderstandings about mental illness
- The common signs and symptoms of a mental health issue in youth
- How to approach young people about their mental health
- How to assess the severity of the situation
- What to do in a mental health crisis situation
- Practical skills to intervene in real-world mental health situations youth experience
- How to encourage young people to get professional help
- A range of options and places for youth to access professional help
Mental Health Issues Covered:
- Substance abuse problems
- Eating Disorders
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug and alcohol
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
If you have already undertaken your Mental Health First Aid qualification, a refresher program might be a good fit for you.