In our MHFA Certificate course, you’ll learn about the common mental illnesses, along with their signs and symptoms. It also teaches you about having a safe conversation with someone you’re worried about.
Dealing with a mental health crisis is also covered. You’ll leave the course feeling confident regarding mental health and mental illness.
Choosing to take the MHFA Certificate course in person is a great way to go for people who enjoy face to face learning.
We offer this course in person on our public programs, and can also run it for your team or organisation.
Here’s a little bit more about the program.
What you’ll learn in our MHFA Certificate course:
- An overview of mental health, and Mental Health First Aid
- Common myths and misunderstandings about mental illness
- The common signs and symptoms of a mental health issue
- How to approach someone about their mental health
- How to assess the severity of the situation
- What to do in a mental health crisis situation
- Practical skills to intervene in real-world mental health situations
- How to encourage someone to get professional help
- A range of options and places to access professional help
Mental Health Issues Covered:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects of alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviours.
Options to consider other than our MHFA Certificate course
At The Mental Health Coach, we are here to help you regardless of how you want to learn. In addition to our MHFA Certificate course in person, we offer Mental Health First Aid Training online as well, so that you can learn from the comfort of your home
If you’ve already done your initial training, consider doing a refresher course instead. This extends your accreditation by 3 years and also keeps you up to date with changes in the field.
Working with young people? The Youth Mental Health First Aid course might suit you.